Search Icon

Giving feedback

Compliments, Comments and Complaints

We love feedback!  Our Patient Experience team is dedicated to hearing what you have to say, in a variety of ways which suit our patients/parents and visitors.

At Birmingham Women’s Hospital (BWH), we strive to achieve the highest standards in our clinical care and also in the services we provide for patients, parents, babies and visitors. We want to exceed your expectations so we try to improve what we do and how we do it all the time.  We use what you tell us to improve the way we deliver our services.

So tell us about your experience at BWH.   Your comments, compliments, concerns and complaints really do make a difference.

Understanding your visit or stay at BWH can tell us:

  • where things are working well
  • where there might be risks so we can take action to reduce and eliminate them
  • where we need to make some changes and improvements

What you tell us gives us the opportunity to learn and make improvements. Your care, or the care of your family’s or friend will not be affected in any way by your feedback.  The information you give us, or details of our investigations, are never filed in a patient’s medical records.

How you can tell us about your experience

You can tell us about your experience in a number of ways – simply choose the best way for you.

Talk to our staff

If you have a concern, talk to someone. This can be a member of staff, a sister or matron on the ward/department concerned or your doctor. They will do everything they can to help resolve your problem or give you the information you nee

Right here on our website

Click here. We will respond within 24 working hours, Monday to Friday.

Feedback cards

You can find these on most reception desks around the hospital. Just give completed cards to any member of reception staff or place in a Patient Experience card collection box on reception desks around the hospital

By E-mail

Send us an email to [email protected]

Friends & Family Test

Complete one of our Friends & Family Tests located around the hospital, in our feedback kiosks, by asking any of our volunteers or here. You can read more about the Friends and Family Test and see how we are doing as a trust by visiting our FFT page.

By telephone

Ring our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) office on 0121 627 2747

In person

Visit our PALS office in the main reception. You can simply pop in or call us to make an appointment on 0121 627 2747 or 07720 703511. Our team will offer impartial, confidential support relating to any aspect of your care. We aim to resolve issues and concerns speedily by liaising with appropriate staff on your behalf. If your concerns cannot be addressed quickly or if you wish to take your complaint further, we will advise you how to make a formal complaint. We can also help with enquiries, suggestions and compliments. We also visit wards every day. If you would like to talk to one or our PALS team but miss them on their ward visit, just give them a call on 0121 627 2747 or 07720 703511

On our app

You can download the BWH App from the App Store for iPhone or Google Play for Android devices.


You can also give your feedback direct through our website via our survey. It’s a quick and easy, simply follow this link and select the button to start the survey

Join one of our directorate-specific user forums

If you would like to give regular input into decisions which affect patients and parents, please get in touch with the Patient Experience Team on 0121 623 6878 or by email [email protected]. We have forums in Genetics, Maternity, Neonatal or Gynecology. These groups meet regularly to review patient journeys, feedback about patient information and bring issues about service improvement in a forum with clinical staff.

Be a Mystery Patient/Parent/Visitor.

Whether you are a visitor, parent or patient, you can become one of our Mystery Patient/Parents/Visitors and give us detailed feedback focusing on particular aspects of your care. Please contact the Patient Experience Team on 0121 327 2747.

Make a formal Complaint